Picking the best mobile operator in Hungary is certainly not an easy task especially considering all the options that are there. This article will help you review all mobile operators in Hungary for 2023 and find out which is suitable for you.
Table of Contents
1. List of Mobile Operators in Hungary
Hungary has a competitive telecom market with multiple mobile network operators and numerous mobile virtual network operators (MVNOs) to choose from.
1.1. Main Mobile Operators in Hungary
The three major mobile network operators in Hungary are:
- Telekom: Telekom is the incumbent operator in Hungary with the best nationwide coverage. It offers 2G, 3G, 4G/LTE and 5G services.
- Vodafone: Vodafone is the second largest mobile operator in Hungary with excellent 4G and growing 5G coverage.
- Yettel: Formerly known as Telenor, Yettel has very good urban and rural coverage across Hungary. It offers 2G, 3G, 4G/LTE services.
These three MNOs collectively cover over 99% of Hungary’s population with voice services and about 95% with 4G/LTE.
1.2. Mobile Virtual Network Operators (MVNOs) in Hungary
In addition to the main MNOs, there are some MVNOs in Hungary as well. MVNOs lease network access from the main operators and offer their own plans/services. Some popular MVNOs in Hungary include:
- Digi Mobil
- Yettel Like
- Yettel Blue
MVNOs offer cheaper options compared to the main operators, but may have more limited coverage.
2. How to Choose the Best Mobile Operators in Hungary
Here are some key factors to consider when choosing a mobile operator in Hungary:
|Telekom||Excellent||Competitive||Fast||Good||Excellent coverage, very fast speeds, good customer service||Can be more expensive than other operators|
|Vodafone||Good||Competitive||Fast||Good||Good coverage, fast speeds, good customer service||Can be more expensive than other operators|
|Yettel||Good||Affordable||Fast||Good||Affordable prices, fast speeds, good customer service||Coverage is not as good as Telekom or Vodafone in some areas|
- Coverage: Telekom has the overall best coverage while all the three operators operate well.
- Price: Yettel is usually the cheapest among all the three operators and offers competitive prices.
- Speed: The fastest speeds are offered by Telekom and Yettel, then comes Vodafone.
- Customer service: All three operators provide good client service, with Telekom being regarded as a top provider of customer service.
- Overall: In general, Telekom is the best mobile operator in Hungary; however, if you’re looking for more affordable option, then Vodafone or Yettel will be fine.
Your choice of the best mobile operator is dependent upon your personal needs and aspirations. Take into account the elements above when you are selecting your operator, and look at some reviews of various operators to see what other customers think and rate them.
Telekom is the ideal option if you want a superb coverage and speed. Yettel is a good choice if you are on a budget. Vodafone is a good mid-point between the sides.
Choose an operator that best fits your usage needs and budget. You should also look into less expensive basic service from a MVNO.
3. Best Mobile Operators in Hungary – Detailed Comparison
Here is an in-depth look at how the top Hungary mobile operators compare across important criteria:
|Objects of use||Voice, data, text, TV, fixed broadband||Voice, data, text, TV, fixed broadband||Voice, data, text, TV, fixed broadband|
Telekom the largest mobile provider in Hungary with the highest coverage and speed. It is also the most expensive service provider. Vodafone has good coverage and speed making it the second biggest operator. It is also costlier Yettel.
Yettel is the smallest of the three operators; however, provides cheap price and good coverage and speed.
For which operator is it for you?
Telekom offers the best available coverage and highest speed. Yettel is good for those trying to work on a budget. Thus, Vodafone serves as a reasonable compromise between the two extremes. You should also bear in mind that it is crucial to choose an operator depending on your requirements.
By way of illustration, when you have plenty of data needed, you may consider a heavy data plan to go along with an operator. Therefore, you might select an operator with a good overseas calling plan in case of long-distance calls.
4. Where to Buy SIM Cards from Hungary Mobile Operators?
You can obtain SIM cards from the various Hungary mobile operators through multiple channels:
- Official retail stores – All three major mobile operators in Hungary (Telekom, Vodafone, and Yettel) have official retail stores where you can buy SIM cards. These stores are typically located in major cities and shopping malls. To find an official retail store, you can visit the website of the mobile operator.
- Supermarkets and convenience stores – Many supermarkets and convenience stores in Hungary sell SIM cards. These stores are typically located all over the country, so you should be able to find one near you. However, it is important to note that not all supermarkets and convenience stores sell SIM cards from all three Hungary mobile operators.
- Electronics stores – Electronics stores in Hungary also sell SIM cards. These stores are typically located in major cities and shopping malls. Electronics stores may offer a wider selection of SIM cards than supermarkets and convenience stores, but they may also be more expensive.
- Airports – You can also buy SIM cards at the Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport. There are SIM card kiosks located in the arrivals hall. However, it is important to note that the prices of SIM cards at the airport may be higher than the prices of SIM cards at other locations.
- Online – You can also buy SIM cards online from the websites of the Hungary mobile operators. This is a convenient option if you don’t want to have to go to a store. However, it is important to note that you will need to pay for shipping and handling if you buy a SIM card online.
When purchasing, have your passport and Hungarian address/hotel details ready. Operators are required to register your info by law with new SIM activations.
5. Do Mobile Operators in Hungary Offer eSIM?
eSIM allows your phone to be activated via a digital profile rather than inserting a physical SIM card. Availability among Hungary mobile operators:
- Telekom launched eSIM support in 2021. Available for both prepaid and contract (postpaid) accounts for Hungarians.
- Vodafone also introduced eSIM in 2021. Primarily targeted towards enterprise clients so far.
- Yettel eSIM is now available for our new and existing small business customers and for Samsung smartwatches.
- Most MVNOs in Hungary also do not offer eSIM currently.
As of late 2022, the use of eSIM in Hungary is still quite restricted. Therefore, if you wish to utilize eSIM in Hungary, it may be worthwhile to look into third-party providers such as hungaryesim.com. This website provides a range of pricing options and durations for Hungarian eSIM services.
With our Hungary eSIM 7-day plan, you’ll get high-speed 4G/5G data to use for up to 7 days in Hungary. Choose from data packages ranging from 1GB up to 20GB:
6. FAQs about Hungary Mobile Operators
Which operator has the best mobile coverage in Hungary?
Telekom has the most extensive mobile coverage across Hungary, providing service to 99% of the population with its 2G, 3G and 4G networks.
Which Hungarian operator is the fastest for mobile data?
Both Telekom and Vodafone deliver excellent 4G speeds around 80 Mbps on average. Their new 5G networks offer up to 500 Mbps.
Which mobile carrier is the cheapest in Hungary?
MVNOs like Digi Mobil and Yettel’s Like prepaid offer cheaper basic service starting under 2000 HUF. But MNOs like Yettel can be cheaper for plans with more data.
Can I use my phone from another EU country in Hungary?
Yes, European roaming regulations allow you to roam in Hungary at domestic rates. But beware of using very high data volumes.
Does Hungary have 5G coverage?
Yes, both Telekom and Vodafone have launched 5G networks in parts of major cities so far. Coverage is still limited but expanding.
Choosing a Hungary mobile operator requires comparing key factors like coverage, speeds, pricing, roaming needs and customer service reputation.
For the best overall service quality and speeds, Telekom tops the list. But Yettel also offers excellent 4G and growing 5G along with competitive plan rates.
MVNOs serve budget users who just need basic calling/texting and slower mobile data on the cheap. Digi Mobil has strong customer feedback as an MVNO choice.
Carefully weigh your specific usage requirements and budget when picking the right Hungarian mobile provider to meet your connectivity needs.