Are you traveling to Budapest, Hungary soon and need a SIM card for your phone? Getting a local SIM card at Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport (BUD) is easy and convenient. With several providers and plan options available, you can stay connected with Budapest Airport SIM Card during your trip to Budapest and beyond.
Table of Contents
I. Where to Buy a SIM Card at Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport
There are a few places to purchase Budapest airport SIM cards once you arrive at Budapest Airport:
1. Vodafone Store
There is a Vodafone store located in Terminal 2B, near gate B. Vodafone offers Vodafone Hungary prepaid and postpaid SIM cards with flexible data packages.
To buy a SIM card, you will need to provide your passport or other form of identification. You may also need to pay a deposit.
- Opening hours: Monday to Sunday, 7:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Location: Arrivals hall, Terminal 2A
- Language support: English, Hungarian
2. Replay Convenience Store
There are two Relay convenience stores at Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport, one in Terminal 2A and one in Terminal 2B. Both Relay stores sell SIM cards from different operators, including Yettel.
To buy a SIM card from a Relay store, you will need to provide your passport or other form of identification. You may also need to pay a deposit.
Once you have purchased a SIM card, you will need to activate it. You can do this by following the instructions that come with the SIM card.
- Opening hours: Monday to Sunday, 6:00 AM to 11:00 PM
- Location: One in Terminal 2A and one in Terminal 2B
- Language support: English and Hungarian
3. Other kiosks
There are also a few other mobile operators’ temporary kiosks in the arrivals hall of Terminal 2A that sell SIM cards from different operators. You can get prepaid SIMs with data plans here.
All these stores are located past immigration/customs in the arrivals halls. You can easily stop to purchase a SIM card on your way out of the airport. Keep your passport handy as you’ll need it to register the Budapest Airport SIM card.
II. Hungary Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport SIM Card Options and Costs
The main prepaid SIM card providers at Budapest Airport are Vodafone, Telekom, and Yettel. Here’s an overview of what’s available from each:
|Yettel||Prepaid||$10||Includes 5 GB, 25 minutes of calls.|
|Vodafone||Prepaid||$3||Includes 100MB of data.|
|Telekom||Prepaid||$14.10||Includes 4GB of data, 200 minutes of calls, and 200 SMS.|
- All prices are approximate and are based on the current exchange rate between the Hungarian forint (HUF) and the US dollar (USD).
- Prices may vary depending on the retailer.
- Data, call, and SMS allowances may vary depending on the plan.
- Additional charges may apply for roaming, international calls, and premium services.
Which option is best for you?
The best SIM card option for you will depend on your individual needs and budget. If you are on a tight budget, the Vodafone prepaid SIM card is a good option. If you need more data or call minutes, a Yettel prepaid SIM card is a better option.
III. What You Need to Prepare for Buying SIM Card in Budapest Airport
Purchasing and setting up a Budapest Airport SIM card is very easy to do. Here are a few tips on what to prepare:
- Passport – You’ll need your passport to register a prepaid SIM card in Hungary. Make sure to have it handy when you go to buy a SIM.
- Unlocked Phone – Your phone needs to be unlocked to use a foreign SIM card. Contact your home provider to request an unlock before traveling.
- eSIM Compatible Phone – If you want to get an eSIM in Budapest, your phone must be eSIM compatible. Most newer iPhone and Android models support eSIM.
- Local Currency – Have some Hungarian Forint cash on hand to pay for your SIM card and any initial recharge credit. Vodafone and Telekom stores may accept credit cards as well.
- SIM Tool – Bring a SIM tool, paperclip or safety pin to swap out your existing SIM for the Hungary SIM you purchase.
As long as you have your unlocked phone, passport, and a few dollars in local currency, getting a SIM card at Budapest Airport is quick and hassle-free.
IV. eSIM as an Alternative to SIM Card at Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport
Another option instead of a plastic Budapest Airport SIM card is getting an eSIM when you arrive at Budapest Airport. eSIMs are digital SIM profiles that are loaded directly onto your phone. Here are some benefits of using an eSIM for your Hungary trip:
- Fast Activation – eSIMs can be set up in minutes on your phone via a provider app. No need to go find a store or swap SIM cards.
- Multiple SIMs – With eSIM you can have both your home SIM and a local Hungary SIM active simultaneously. Seamlessly switch as needed.
- Short Term Use – eSIMs are ideal if you just need connectivity for part of your trip vs. a long term SIM card.
- Eco-Friendly – No plastic SIM card waste since it’s all digital.
Get connected in Hungary from just $6 with hungaryesim.com easy eSIM plans. No roaming or SIM swaps needed. Buy now, scan and go online upon arrival. Stress-free connectivity for your trip awaits.
V. FAQs about Budapest Airport SIM Card
Do I need to register my SIM card?
Yes, you will need to register any prepaid SIM card purchased in Hungary by providing your passport details. This is required by law to help prevent criminal activities through anonymous SIM usage.
Can I use my SIM card throughout Europe?
Most Hungary prepaid SIMs include some EU roaming, but limited. If traveling to multiple countries, you may want to purchase a dedicated Europe SIM with more roaming data.
How can I recharge my Hungary SIM?
You can top up your SIM at Vodafone/Telekom stores, newsstands, metro stations, or online via the provider website/app using a credit card.
Do Hungary SIM cards work in unlocked phones?
Yes, Hungary prepaid SIMs will work in any unlocked GSM phone like iPhones or Android smartphones. Just swap it out for your existing SIM.
Can I use dual SIM phones with an eSIM?
Yes, dual SIM phones like newer iPhones and Samsung models can hold a physical SIM card and digital eSIM to have two active lines. Convenient for using a local Hungary eSIM.
VI. Final words
Getting a Budapest airport SIM card or eSIM at Budapest Ferenc Liszt International Airport when you land is super convenient for staying connected through your Hungary trip. Stop by one of the stores located in the arrival halls to buy SIM card in Budapest Airport with a data package. Alternatively, you can quickly activate a tourist eSIM plan right on your phone. With an Budapest airport SIM Card in hand, you’ll be able to use maps, rideshare, social media and more during your time in Budapest. Enjoy your trip!